June 1, 2007

The Right Tool for the Job

I got a flat tire this morning but couldn't pull the stubborn bastard off the car to put on the spare. So, thinking about the cheapest way out of this predicament, I call up AAA. The nice lady on the phone says not to worry; the tow truck guy will come by and he'll use some special tools to get the wheel off.

Long story short, the "special tool" was a 5 foot long 2 by 4 that he used to smack my tire around. When I say smack around, I mean that it looked like he was trying to spear my tire on the end of a very blunt pole using force alone. After a few minutes of this, the old tire finally came loose and I went along my merry way.

So, it is that only yesterday I felt that an xbox 360 was a little out of my price range but now today I realize that it costs just a little more than a new set of nice tires.

PS. I didn't buy a whole new set of tires; just two. For some strange reason, two of the tires were totally worn and the other two seemed good as new. So, I only got two.

(Tire tread wear photo via Autorepair for Dummies)

No comments: