Most people don't think of Godzilla when they think of movie franchises but consider this:
- 28 movies
- +50 years
- 3 separate series of movies (Showa, Heisei, and Shinsei)
- Unabated use of rubber suit technology in the face of CGI
- UFO's and psychics consistently play supporting roles
- Godzilla could either save the earth or destroy it or both
- Godzilla fights like a 30 story pro wrestler.
Other people might go with one of those american hero franchises (Batman, Superman, Rocky, Spiderman, etc.) or Star Wars/Indiana Jones but to me they take themselves too seriously. Star Trek is real hit and miss. The Pink Pather is another fairly good set of movies but unfortunately it ended with Peter Sellers and also unfortunately more movies will come out (sorry Steve Martin).